Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Being Thankful

I recently read an article that addressed why some people find the Christmas season to be something less than a time of untrammeled delight. Possible reasons included seasonal affective disorder or SAD (due to lack of sunlight); exhaustion from shopping, wrapping, mailing, cleaning, preparing and/or traveling; and unrealistic expectations of a Currier and Ives type of holiday where everything is beautiful and everyone gets along with everyone else.

I haven't read anything about people who don't care much for Thanksgiving, but I suspect that some of the same reasons apply ... except for the shopping, wrapping and mailing. And then there's another aspect of it -- the laser-like focus on being thankful. If you're or sick, or troubled, or stressed, or out of work, or lonely, or bereaved, it can be a real challenge to find things to be thankful for, because all you can think about is what you don't have -- good health, a clear mind, a calm body, a decent job, or someone to love who loves you back. All you want to do is crawl under the covers and wait for it to be over.

I recently read a poem in a local magazine that gave me the idea for this blog. Since it was marked "Author Unknown" I can't give it proper attribution, but I'd like to share it.

Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire.
If you did, what would there be to look forward to?

Be thankful when you don't know something, 
For it gives you the opportunity to learn.

Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow.

Be thankful for your limitations,
Because they give you opportunities for improvement.

Be thankful for each new challenge,
Because it will build your strength and character.

Be thankful for your mistakes.
They will teach you valuable lessons.

Be thankful when you're tired and weary,
Because it means you've accomplished something.

It's easy to be thankful for the good things.
A life of fulfillment comes to those who can be thankful for setbacks.

Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive.
Find a way to be thankful for your troubles, and they can become your blessings.

If you find something in this poem that speaks to you, I will be thankful for that. On the other hand, if you think it sounds way too much like the saying "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade," I will understand that too. I used to be a lemonade-kind-of-person when I was younger, and my husband would periodically tease me about coming down from my cloud. I'm older now, there have been bumps in the road, and sometimes it's hard to remember what the lemonade days felt like. But now and then I still have one and when I do, I try to remember to be thankful.


No comments: